Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Reflections on 2007

This is my work in progress reflecting some of the things I'm reflecting on at the end of 2007.

Cittio played a really big role in my life this year. It was an uneasy decision for me to leave Cal Berkeley and the Space Sciences Lab. I miss my friends, I miss the Lab, and I miss the SETI program. Only time will tell if, ultimately, it was the right move. The jury is still out.

When I came to Cittio, I started out working with Leo and Werner in the Technical Support Department. I thought that would be pretty much an easy job for me to do. Kick back in a comfy chair with a brewski and solve the world's network monitoring problems with a headphone and an upbeat personality.

It wound up being pretty much like this:



Some friends have suggested that I'm riding the next tech bubble. Not to intentionally mix metaphors but I've made a career out of surfing the wave that comes in. Even before I was formally in high technology I seem to have been doing that. Back in '77 when I was a groundling at the state museum of sci and ind I paid all of Jasmyne's hospital bills by surfing the L.A. wave of low-budget horror and sci-fi movies of the time and selling a script that got us over.

But when networked computing started to sweep the land a few years later, it was my "Big Wednesday" (if you surf, then you know) and I've ridden that wave about 25 years inland. There have been a few moments when it seemed there was nothing but beach break but, all in all, I've had an excellent ride. Tech bubble? This captures some of sentiments:



This year I also got caught in the tractor beam of Web 2.0. Most of which seems to be hyper-hype to an old-timer such as myself. Nonetheless one of the best and concise explanations of Web 2.0 I've ever seen is this short feature:



More to come...

No comments:

Subscribe Now: Feed Icon

About Me

My photo

If you're looking for the Court Cannick who's architecting ComputeSpace for education or the Court Cannick who built NetworkMathematics for systems management or the Court Cannick who engineered the storage systems for SETI@Home or the Court Cannick who produced Physical Science Journal for Storer Cable or the Court Cannick who lectured on Space Colonization at CMSI, then you probably have found the right Court Cannick.  Otherwise, keep looking...